Thursday, March 19, 2009

There's One In All Of Us

Turning the pages of "Where The Wild Things Are" at bedtime is a very solid memory I have from my childhood. I remember really loving that book and reading it quite often...I wanted to be King of the Wild Things too!
Well, I just pulled it off the book shelf after seeing the news that Spike Jonze is coming out with his own cinematic interpretation of the classic, and realized it's much shorter than I remember - kid gets in trouble, kid creates magic world, kid parties it up with the wild things, kid goes home.
This is exciting for one reason; Dave Eggers. What the book lacks in length, his screenplay is sure to make up for 10 fold. He's a serious genius. If you haven't read "A Heart Breaking Work of Staggering Genius" (see, he really is a genius!), then you should, quickly. I met him once in a lesbian/gay/transgenered book shop (don't ask) in Madison, WI and had him sign a book for my mother. He was lovely and just ooozed intelligence, and of course wrote something terribly smart and witty for her.
It's definitly one of those movies that could go either way - Amazing or Awful. It's coming out in October 2009. Can't wait.