Monday, May 11, 2009

V for...?

A couple of months ago I noticed a big, bold letter V on the sidewalk that I was cruising down. I paused for a moment and wondered what it meant, but was quickly distracted by some stranger's boots as she passed by me (thank you undiagnosed ADD), and so off I went, leaving the V behind me.
But then a few weeks later, again, a V stamped right there in front of my feet! Hmmm...am I on the same block? Is this the same V?, I thought to myself.
Well, no, it wasn't the same block and it wasn't the same V and by now I've seen them all over the place. From Spring street all the way up to 125th and Morningside. There are letter V's sprinkled all over this fair city of ours and no one seems to have even the slightest clue as to what they are doing here.
This lack of intelligence begs a few questions, such as...
Are Big Bird, Elmo and the rest of the Sesame Street gang behind this elaborate alphabet refresher course?
Could the aliens be marking our streets like they did the PeruVian mountains with their nifty little Nazca Lines?
Is Natalie Portman's shaVed head about to jump out from a dark alley way and start a reVolution in her poorly executed english accent?
Well everyone, put your fears aside...I'm on the case! I'll get to the bottom of this one using my good looks, charm, wiley wit, and maybe a few tips from you - my beloved readers.
If you see a V, come talk to me.